See Arenal Volcano on this Costa Rican Trip
The breathtaking Arenal Volcano is one of Costa Rica’s most iconic sites, but its surroundings are equally impressive. During this trip, you’ll have the chance to delve into the rainforests and caverns that make up Arenal’s diverse landscape. For a detailed look at each option, see these links: 3-Night option, 4-Night option, 5-Night option. Highlights include a tour of Arenal Volcano National Park and a dip in Arenal’s natural hot springs. Each option includes:
One of our Ecoterra Costa Rica’s drivers will meet you at Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO) at 8:30am or 3:00pm; in order to drive you to the Arenal Volcano National Park Region; the transportation to Arenal takes about 3 hours. Lodging at Casa Luna Hotel or similar hotel. After check in you will have the evening off for optional activities as enjoying the pool or take a massage at Luna Spa with special deals and discounts for our guests.
The tour starts in the morning, aprox 07:50 am after breakfast, so get ready for your first ride over the canyons, through lush forests, above Pino Blanco waterfall (160 feets) & La Fortuna waterfall (200 feets), beside the Arenal Volcano and experience the adrenaline rush of observing the landscapes over the tree tops. The zip line tour is an authentic adventure through the rainforest. A cart pulled by a tractor will pick you up and drive you 3 kilometers through a dirt road. You will arrive at a lookout point where you can see the rushing waters of the Pino Blanco waterfall. You may see several species of animals that inhabit this area such as toucans, monkeys and frogs. Seven cables with a full distance of 1.7 miles and lengths from 400 feet to 3280 feets; after the canopy tour, you will visit a representation of a Maleku Indigenous Village, members of a tribe dressed in traditional clothes greet you with a refreshing beverage and teach you about their culture, language and traditions. They share stories about animals and the environment, expressing their gratitude for nature. You will return to the starting point on cart. Near the entrance, there is a butterfly garden and a frog room, which we encourage you to explore. If you put some fruit juice on your finger, the butterflies will land on you and exhibit the vibrant colors of their wings. At the end of the tour, we will take the transportation back to the hotel. You will have some part of the afternoon off to enjoy the on your way.
In the afternoon, you will be greeted by our guide aprox at 02:30 pm at the front desk, in order to reach El Silencio Private Reserve, to reach as close to the Arenal Volcano as permitted by car. From there, we will begin a 1 km walk along a trail of volcanic rock, rated as moderate in difficulty, to reach the observation point, which is the closest to the base of the volcano we can legally get. At the observation point, your guide will provide interesting information regarding the formation of the Arenal Volcano, its periods of activity, and unedited details of its major eruption in 1968, as well as giving you the opportunity to enjoy the incredible views of the Arenal Volcano and the Arenal Lake. Afterwards, we will begin our return trip down the same trail to the starting point.
Today you have the option to choose one of the next activities; and spend some time at the hotel. If you pleased to take part in more than one tour you might arrange it in advance with our reservations department or the day before with our counter located in the Hotel’s facilities.
Option 1/ Arenal Hanging Bridges: This is one of the most popular tour in the area, start at 7:30am, It is ideal for hikers who would like to admire the characteristics of the tropical rain forest, Is consist of a 1.9 miles hike over a trail through 600 acres reserve filled with vegetation, where you can enjoy the rich Costa Rica flora and fauna like monkeys, vipers, wild pigs, a lot of kind of birds, sloths, wildcats and more. The bridges have different lengths and heights, they were made with the intention of assessing the flora and fauna from a different perspective since you go through different levels of the forest. From these bridges you will have great views of the canopy of the forest and it will be possible to locate animals and birds along the path. Topography of the terrain is rather simple with a few hard slopes that are not long.
Option 2 / Venado Caves: Going into the insides of the earth is possible in this tour. The tour begin at 7:30am, Underground trails will lead us through grottos and chambers exploring a world indifferent to light. With flashlights to lighten up our way, we will enter into this labyrinth of ancient underground rivers and sea beds, all exposed now after thousands of years. Live a unique experience in Costa Rica and get ready to get wet, dirty and see this different world that will astound you with a variety of emotions.
Option 3 / Campesino Farm Experince: Will take us to the Agro-ecological Farm, located in the small town of Agua Azul, 5 km from Fortuna. Once we arrive, we will be greeted with a fresh fruit juice and an informative explanation of the Farm’s main objectives, including promoting the sustainable use of natural resources and preserving Costa Rican traditions.
Option 4 / Nocturnal Natural Experience: Ideal for those who want to take advantage of every minute in Costa Rica, discovering some of the country’s nocturnal wonders in a night walk. We will begin our tour in a small town known as La Tigra, located just 35 minutes from La Fortuna. Once we arrive we will take the trail in to a small patch of rainforest in the process of regeneration with some mirrored lakes which facilitate wildlife observation. You can expect to see species like nocturnal birds and mammals, insects, amphibians, bats, and more. The trail will go around the mirrored lakes to the frog sanctuary, which is an area dedicated to the regeneration and natural reproduction of frog species. Here you will discover a large amount of species such as the dart frog and the bull frog, the smallest and largest species in Costa Rica, as well as the Red Eyed Tree Frog, and the Glass Frog. After the tour, a typical Costa Rican dinner prepared on a wood burning stove will await us. We will enjoy our dinner viewing the lights of the valleys of San Carlos. Afterwards we will return to La Fortuna.
Option 5 / Sloth Watching Tour: One of the most beloved animals of our country is the famous sloth, captivating us with its tenderness and slow behavior. We cannot deny it, we all have envied their lives at some point. La Fortuna is a unique site to watch sloths, our climate, food availability, protection and the absence of predators make this area, and the property you will visit, a small natural oasis.
Option 6 / La Fortuna Waterfall Hike: This tour begins by descending the 500-meter trail to the magnificent La Fortuna Waterfall, renowned for its 60 meter (197 feet) high falls and its crystal clear waters. Along the trail, you will observe plants, trees, and animals, which inhabit the area like sloths, toucans, orioles, butterflies, and more. You can choose to swim in its refreshing waters, take amazing photographs, or simply relax and take in all of the beauty of the La Fortuna Waterfall. At the end if the trail we will enjoy a delicious fruit break to recharge our batteries.
Upon completion one of the tours, we will head back to the hotel to enjoy the pool and Jacuzzis or simply relax in your balcony, enjoying the magnificent view of Arenal Volcano.
La Fortuna is the best area in Costa Rica for activities & tours; you will have the day off for do optional activities with extra cost, like our special trip to the Rio Celeste & Tenorio Volcano; this is one of the unexplored locations of Costa Rica, and might become a neat in sunny days (some physical effort might be required). The turquoise blue waters together with all the nature surrounding, make of Rio Celeste a place to enjoy. Located in the outskirts of the Tenorio Volcano, without any doubt this river is one of a kind.
Between other extra activities that you can do around Arenal Volcano Region are: ATV´s, Canyoning, Whitewater Rafting Class II & III or Class III & IV, etc.
Today, you have the shuttle back to the Juan Santamaria International Airport in Alajuela at 8:00am. Please consider this transfer takes about 3 hours to the airport, and you must be there at least 3 hours earlier your flight time for checking in; if you require a transportation on a different time we can arrange a private transportation for some extra bucks.
- Transfer from Juan Santamaria international airport to the hotel
- Transportation to all included activities.
- Bilingual Naturalist Guide
- 4 nights / 5 days lodging in double room in Casa Luna Hotel & Spa
- Daily breakfast
- 1 Tour to choose from: Arenal Hanging Bridges Walk, Venado Caves,
Nocturnal Natural Experience, Campesino Farm Experience, La Fortuna Waterfall Hike, Sloth Watching Tour.
- Dinner at the Hotsprings
- Guided Walk in the Arenal Volcano Expedition
- Zip Line Tour over Tropical Rainforest & Waterfalls
- Entrance to Paradise Hot Springs
- Free 24h Wi-Fi complementary service
- Free Internet Access (lobby)
- Free Security Safe
- Welcome drink in the Casa Luna Hotel
- 2 people minimum
- Transfer from the hotel to Juan Santamaria international airport
Important considerations concerning this package
- Changes to the itinerary cannot be made, there is a logistic matter to be considered.
- If you ask for different destinations not included in this package during the package days, you will be remitted by one of our travel planners for a new itinerary proposal.
- If you wish to skip any of the activities there won’t be any refund.
- Children 7 years and younger are not allowed to take part of the zip line and one of the adults will have to accompanied the kid. This service won’t be refund either, since changes are not allowed in the package. If you pleased we can offer you the professional baby sitter, you can ask for our services.
- Costa Rica is a country to travel around, and if you have some extra days we recommend you to take the opportunity you are already here and visit one of the pacific beaches, the cloud forest or even stay longer at the Casa Luna, if you are open to suggestions please let us know.
- Keep in mind most of hotels in Costa Rica are with two double beds and if you are three people two of you will have to share a bed.
- Our reservations hours: Monday to Friday from 7:00am to 19:00hrs and Saturday from 08:00 hrs to 16:00 hrs
- Our support hours: Everyday from 07:00 hrs to 19:00 hrs
Considerations concerning the pricing
- Package price does not include 13% package tax which can be paid via PayPal, credit card authorization form or Bank Transaction at least 10 days before your travel date.
- For an extra person in the same room with all the services mentioned in the package add $499 - Taxes included - (Maximum 1 extra adult + 1 child per package)
- For children from 5 to 11 years old please add $329 -Taxes included- (Maximum 2 children’s per package) this payment will be process by Ecoterra Staff. Upgrades for change the transportation back to other destinations or for private transportation are available with extra charge.