Explore Rainforests and Cloud Forest in Costa Rica
Costa Rica’s diverse landscape and animal life make it an ideal destination for eco-tourism. You’ll get to experience some of the country’s most unique features on this trip, which includes tours of Arenal Volcano and Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve. There are also some adventurous activities planned—you’ll soar through treetops on a zipline and relax in natural hot springs. Each 6-day tour includes:
At your arrival to the Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO) and after going through all the airport steps, look for the exit sign, where many people will be asking if you need a taxi or private transfer to somewhere, just tell them “-no thanks” always with a smile on your face- and look for one of our Ecoterra Costa Rica’s drivers, whom will be holding a sign with either your name or your last name. This shuttle runs every day at 08:30am or 3:00pm; in order to drive you to the Arenal Volcano National Park Region; the transportation to Arenal takes about 3 hours. Casa Luna Hotel & Spa or silimar hotel will be prearranged in this package; after checking in you will have off time for enjoying the pool or you can have a massage at spa, which you can arrange in advance with our reservations department or with the hotel’s front desk; if you pleased and you prefer to chill you can also simply relax in your balcony, enjoying the view of Arenal Volcano (when clear) or have a cocktail at the bar.
The tour starts in the morning, aprox 07:50 am after breakfast, so get ready for your first ride over the canyons, through lush forests, above Pino Blanco waterfall (160 feets) & La Fortuna waterfall (200 feets), beside the Arenal Volcano and experience the adrenaline rush of observing the landscapes over the tree tops. The zip line tour is an authentic adventure through the rainforest. A cart pulled by a tractor will pick you up and drive you 3 kilometers through a dirt road. You will arrive at a lookout point where you can see the rushing waters of the Pino Blanco waterfall. You may see several species of animals that inhabit this area such as toucans, monkeys and frogs. Seven cables with a full distance of 1.7 miles and lengths from 400 feet to 3280 feets; after the canopy tour, you will visit a representation of a Maleku Indigenous Village, members of a tribe dressed in traditional clothes greet you with a refreshing beverage and teach you about their culture, language and traditions. They share stories about animals and the environment, expressing their gratitude for nature. You will return to the starting point on cart. Near the entrance, there is a butterfly garden and a frog room, which we encourage you to explore. If you put some fruit juice on your finger, the butterflies will land on you and exhibit the vibrant colors of their wings. At the end of the tour, we will take the transportation back to the hotel. You will have some part of the afternoon off to enjoy the on your way.
The tour begins at 2:30 pm from your hotel’s lobby, in order to reach El Silencio Private Reserve, to reach as close to the Arenal Volcano as permitted by car. From there, we will begin a 1 km walk along a trail of volcanic rock, rated as moderate in difficulty, to reach the observation point, which is the closest to the base of the volcano we can legally get. At the observation point, your guide will provide interesting information regarding the formation of the Arenal Volcano, its periods of activity, and unedited details of its major eruption in 1968, as well as giving you the opportunity to enjoy the incredible views of the Arenal Volcano and the Arenal Lake. Afterwards, we will begin our return trip down the same trail to the starting point.
At the end of the day, the perfect place to relax will be at the Arenal Paradise Hot Springs including a dinner served at the Hotsprings Restaurant. At about 9:00 pm you will be picked up to return to the hotel.
La Fortuna is the best area in Costa Rica for activities & tours; you will have the day off for do optional activities with extra cost, like our special trip to the Rio Celeste & Tenorio Volcano; this is one of the unexplored locations of Costa Rica, and might become a neat in sunny days (some physical effort might be required). The turquoise blue waters together with all the nature surrounding, make of Rio Celeste a place to enjoy. Located in the outskirts of the Tenorio Volcano, without any doubt this river is one of a kind. Among others such as: ATV, Hanging Bridges, Venado Caves, Whitewater Rafting, etc.
You can visit our office and arrange optional activities according to you needs. We recommend you to book your activities before your travel date, therefore we offer 10% discount for any tour operated by Ecoterra you book in advance.
After the breakfast we will drive up at 08:00 am towards the Arenal Lake where we’ will board a boat to cross the lake, observing along the way panoramic views of the Arenal Volcano, Chato Hill, Arenal Lake, the Tilaran mountain range, and more. Once across the lake we will again board a minivan to continue on to Monteverde and the hotel. This drive is about 3 hours. Lodging at Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge or similar hotel.
Around 2:30pm, we will start the Sugar Mill Tour at El Trapiche with a tour on the farm where you will have the opportunity to observe different plantations such as bananas, plantains, arracache, macadamia, oranges, sugar and coffee, crossing small patches of forest and occasionally finding animals.
In the walk they will explain the process of sugar production, and the cultivation of cocoa and coffee, a bit of natural history and of course the opportunity to taste the flavor of these crops.
To finish the tour in the plantation, you will be invited to make a small trip by cart (optional) to show them the process for the manufacture of "guaro" (cane liquor) you can see how the sugar cane is processed in a typical trapiche worked with oxen, they will be able to taste sweets prepared with handmade sugar, and they will be able to taste the "arracache" with a delicious cup of coffee, lemonade or aguadulce.
Breakfast will be served between 7:00am and 9:00am. At 7:30am a Naturalist Guide will pick up you at your hotel for enjoy the tour through the Monteverde Biological Reserve enjoying a hike at the cloud forest. At the entrance to the Monteverde Reserve, visit the Hummingbird Garden where you will have the opportunity to see and photograph as many as nine different species of hummingbirds. After this we will start the hike through the seconday and primary forest trying to spot the stunning Resplendent Quetzal, (Pharomachrus Mocinno) distinguished for its majestically colored feathers. If we have luck we can observe other kinds of animals like the Emerald Toucanet, Bell Bird, White-faced Capuchin Monkey and the Agouti. Upon completion the tours, we will head back to the hotel, you can enjoy the rest of the evening at the Monteverde downtown enjoying a cup of wine or coffee.
Today, you have the shuttle back to the Juan Santamaria International Airport in Alajuela at 08:10am or 12:25pm. Please consider this transfer takes about 4 hours to the airport, and you must be there at least 2 hours earlier your flight time for checking in; if you require a transportation on a different time we can arrange a private transportation for some extra bucks.
- 3 Nights at Casa Luna Hotel & Spa or similar in standard room
- 2 Nights at Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge or similar in standard room
- Ground Transportation from Airport to La Fortuna & Arenal Area
- Ground Transportation from Monteverde to San José or Airport
- Boat & Ground Transportation (La Fortuna to Monteverde)
- Transportation to all mentioned activities.
- Guided Walk Expedition Arenal Volcano
- Zip Line Tour over Tropical Rainforest & Waterfalls
- Entrance to Arenal Paradise Hot Springs
- El Trapiche Tour: (Sugar Mill & Coffee Tour)
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve
- 5 Breakfast (Day 2,3,4,5 & 6)
- 1 Dinner (Day 2)
- Bilingual naturalist guide on tours
- Free 24h Wi-Fi in a public areas
- 2 people minimum
Important considerations concerning this package
- Changes to the itinerary cannot be made, there is a logistic matter to be considered.
- If you ask for different destinations not included in this package during the package days, you will be remitted by one of our travel planners for a new itinerary proposal.
- If you wish to skip any of the activities there won’t be any refund.
- Children 7 years and younger are not allowed to take part of the zip line and one of the adults will have to accompanied the kid. This service won’t be refund either, since changes are not allowed in the package. If you pleased we can offer you the professional baby sitter, you can ask for our services.
- Costa Rica is a country to travel around, and if you have some extra days we recommend you to take the opportunity you are already here and visit one of the pacific beaches, the cloud forest or even stay longer at the Casa Luna, if you are open to suggestions please let us know.
- Keep in mind most of hotels in Costa Rica are with two double beds and if you are three people two of you will have to share a bed.
- Our support hours: Everyday from 07:00 hrs to 19:00 hrs
- Our reservation hours: From Monday to Friday 7:00am to 19:00hrs, Saturday from 08:00am to 16:00hrs, Sunday´s closed.
Considerations concerning the pricing
- Package price does not include 13% package tax which can be paid via PayPal, credit card authorization form or Bank Transaction at least 10 days before your travel date.
- For an extra person in the same room with all the services mentioned in the package add **$499 per adult and $399 per child (5 to 11 years)
- This payment will be process by Ecoterra Staff. Upgrades for change the transportation back to other destinations or for private transportation are available with extra charge.