Costa Rica leads the pack when it comes to preserving the environment, with about a quarter of its land protected by national parks. More than 500,000 species—roughly 4% of Earth’s total—live within its borders, from the world’s fastest lizard to the rarely seen but always-heard howler monkey. It’s also home to Arenal, one of the planet’s most beautiful volcanoes, discover the nocturnal natural wonders in a night hike, enjoy crossing the canopy of the tropical rainforest in a Zip Line adventure and enjoy the natural hot springs.
Upon arrival to the Juan Santamaria International Airport in San Jose, after passing through customs and getting your bags, you will find several people offering taxi service. Just say “No, thanks”, and find the Ecoterra representative that will be waiting for you with your sign with your name, at 8:30am or 3:00pm. He will take you for a ride of about 3 hours, to the La Tigra Rainforest Lodge, a cozy rustic Lodge located along the outskirts of the Children’s Eternal Rainforest, the largest private reserve in Central America. After checking in, you can enjoy a walk on the Hotel trails, savor the delicious traditional Costa Rican dinner included in your package in the Cantarranas dining room, or just relax to the sounds of nature in your charming room.
Mornings at La Tigra Rainforest Lodge are quite busy as the birds awake to find food. You can rise early and enjoy this morning show from your balcony. Breakfast is served from 7:30am to 9:00am. At 15:00hrs, you will have a traditional Costa Rican cooking class to learn how to prepare the most popular authentic dishes like hash, rice with chicken, handmade tortillas, corn, stew, rice pudding, and more. Then enjoy it all for coffee break. After a lazy afternoon, we will await nightfall to begin the fascinating nocturnal exploration through the tropical rainforest, along an 800 meter long trail. We will discover birds, nocturnal mammals, insects, reptiles, and amphibians. Some of the species you can expect to see include the red-eyed tree frogs, the rare glass frog, and bats. After the tour, a delicious dinner will await us overlooking the night lights of the San Carlos valley, followed by the one of the best wines in the Cantarranas dining room to relax after a day full of activities.
After breakfast, enjoy a free day to enjoy optional activities like Self guided hikes onsite, Visiting the Proyecto Asis Animal Rescue Center, a farm tour, Three sowing or just relaxing in your room. Lunch will be ready at noon, and then at 1pm, we will depart towards La Fortuna, San Carlos, which is about a 45 minute drive. Casa Luna Hotel is the second and last hotel reserved for this package. After checking in, you will have some free time to relax in the balcony room with views of the Arenal Volcano or the hotel gardens, take a dip in the pool, read, or walk into the town of La Fortuna.
The tour starts in the morning, aprox 07:50 am after breakfast, so get ready for your first ride over the canyons, through lush forests, above Pino Blanco waterfall (160 feets) & La Fortuna waterfall (200 feets), beside the Arenal Volcano and experience the adrenaline rush of observing the landscapes over the tree tops. The zip line tour is an authentic adventure through the rainforest. A cart pulled by a tractor will pick you up and drive you 3 kilometers through a dirt road. You will arrive at a lookout point where you can see the rushing waters of the Pino Blanco waterfall. You may see several species of animals that inhabit this area such as Toucans, monkeys and frogs. Seven cables with a full distance of 1.7 miles and lengths from 400 feet to 3280 feets; after the canopy tour, you will visit a representation of a Maleku Indigenous Village, members of a tribe dressed in traditional clothes greet you with a refreshing beverage and teach you about their culture, language and traditions. They share stories about animals and the environment, expressing their gratitude for nature. You will return to the starting point on cart. Near the entrance, there is a butterfly garden and a frog room, which we encourage you to explore. If you put some fruit juice on your finger, the butterflies will land on you and exhibit the vibrant colors of their wings. At the end of the tour, we will take the transportation back to the hotel. You will have some part of the afternoon off to enjoy the on your way.
The tour begins at 2:30 pm from your hotel’s lobby, in order to reach El Silencio Private Reserve, to reach as close to the Arenal Volcano as permitted by car. From there, we will begin a 1 km walk along a trail of volcanic rock, rated as moderate in difficulty, to reach the observation point, which is the closest to the base of the volcano we can legally get. At the observation point, your guide will provide interesting information regarding the formation of the Arenal Volcano, its periods of activity, and unedited details of its major eruption in 1968, as well as giving you the opportunity to enjoy the incredible views of the Arenal Volcano and the Arenal Lake. Afterwards, we will begin our return trip down the same trail to the starting point.
At the end of the day, the perfect place to relax will be at the Arenal Paradise Hot Springs including a dinner served at the Hotsprings Restaurant. At about 9:00 pm you will be picked up to return to the hotel.
La Fortuna is the best area in Costa Rica for both adventure and nature activities. You can choose to add a special tour of Rio Celeste and the Tenorio Volcano to see the amazing turquoise waters and breath-taking nature. This tour requires moderate physical exertion.
Our office can help you reserve this or other adventures like Hanging Bridges, Venado caves, Cloudforest hikes, Sloth Watching Tour, ATVs, and more – for every budget and interest level. We recommend reserving before your trip begins, and offer a 10% discount on all tours when reserved in advance.
Your return trip to the Juan Santamaria International Airport is set for 8 am. Remember that the drive to the airport will take around 3 hours and that you must arrive at least 2 hours prior your departure for checking and security processes. If you need your transportation at a different time, you can reserve a private transfer for an additional charge.
- 2 nights in La Tigra Rainforest Lodge in standard tent
- 3 nights in Casa Luna Hotel or similar in standard double room
- Airport pick up, transfer to La Tigra
- Ground transportation La Tigra – La Fortuna
- Ground transportation La Fortuna – San José (Airport)
- Tropical Rainforest Night Hike
- Traditional Costa Rican Cooking Classes
- Tropical rainforest zip line tour.
- Expedition Arenal Volcano
- Arenal Paradise Hot Springs entrance
- 5 breakfasts (Days 2,3,4,5,6)
- 2 lunches (Days 2 & 3).
- 3 dinners (Days 2,3 & 4).
- Bilingual Naturalist guide
- Wifi in public areas
- 2 people mínimum
Important considerations concerning this package
- Changes to the itinerary cannot be made, there is a logistic matter to be considered.
- If you ask for different destinations not included in this package during the package days, you will be remitted by one of our travel planners for a new itinerary proposal.
- If you wish to skip any of the activities there won’t be any refund.
- Children 7 years and younger are not allowed to take part of the zip line and one of the adults will have to accompanied the kid. This service won’t be refund either, since changes are not allowed in the package. If you pleased
- we can offer you the professional baby sitter, you can ask for our services.
- Costa Rica is a country to travel around, and if you have some extra days we recommend you to take the opportunity you are already here and visit one of the pacific beaches, the cloud forest or even stay longer at Casa Luna Hotel, if you are open to suggestions please let us know.
- Keep in mind most of hotels in Costa Rica are with two double beds and if you are three people two of you will have to share a bed.
- Our office hours for availability, questions and reservations: Every day from 07:00 hrs to 19:00 hrs
Considerations concerning the pricing
- Package price does not include 13% package tax which can be paid via PayPal, credit card authorization form or Bank Transaction at least 10 days before your travel date.
- For an extra person in the same room with all the services mentioned in the package of -- $499 per adult and $399 per child (5 to 11 years)
- This payment will be process by Ecoterra Staff.
- Merchant cancellation/re-scheduling policy of 31 days
- Upgrades for change the transportation back to other destinations or for private transportation are available with extra charge.