Explore Rainforests and National Parks in Costa Rica
Costa Rica’s diverse landscape and animal life make it an ideal destination for eco-tourism. You’ll see plenty of both on this vacation, which includes tours of the Arenal Volcano National Park’s rainforests and the canals and wetlands of Tortuguero National Park. There’s also some adventurous activities planned—you’ll soar through treetops on a zipline and relax in natural hot springs. Along the way, you’ll stay at hotels with tons of amenities like private gardens, pools, spas, and bars. The trip includes:
At your arrival to the Juan Santamaría International Airport (SJO) and after going through all the airport steps, look for the exit sign, where many people will be asking if you need a taxi or private transfer to somewhere, just tell them “-no thanks” always with a smile on your face- and look for one of the hotel’s drivers, whom will be holding a sign with either your name or your last name, and will drive you for about 30 minutes to the Park Inn by Radisson Hotel . This shuttle runs every day from 05:00am through 10:00pm, any requirement out of this schedule might mean an extra charge. After checking in, you will have the rest of your day off for optional activities in the surroundings of San José, or if you are limited by time, just lay back and enjoy the pool, get a cocktail at the bar or spend some time at the Sauna (30min).
The Laguna Lodge transportation service, with its own naturalist guide, will pick up all guests in the respective hotel according to the program. Once all the passengers in the bus, will drive through the road to Limon crossing the Braulio Carrillo National Park.
Around 8:00, the Selva Tropical restaurant awaits with a typical breakfast and its butterfly garden surrounded by tropical flowers and plants.
The trip continues to the shipment port, passing the long banana plantations and, possibly, been able to see the packing process of them.
Around 11:00 the boat will be waiting for to take boat journey throughout the canals or La Suerte river, arriving to Laguna Tortuguero Lodge around 12:30pm /1:00pm. A welcome cocktail and a refreshing wet towel will be awaiting, while the tour guides provide all the information for a relaxing stay at the lodge.
The first tour starts during the afternoon, taking the guests to the Botanical Garden. Guests can also enjoy the exclusive use of the installations such as the frog garden, the pools, bars and the different areas of the hotel or a walk throughout the Caribbean beach. You can also witness the green turtle spawning, from July to October, which is a huge attraction for tourist around the world.
Breakfast will be served between 7:00am and 9:00am. At 8:30am, enjoy the boat tour thought-out the Tortuguero National Park Canals enjoying the tropical rainforest. (The entrance to the National Park is not included and must be paid by cash US$15.00 per person). Tortuguero is extremely humid, with year-round precipitations reaching the 6.000 mm, which makes this one of the rainiest places in Costa Rica, where dry season doesn’t actually exists. The canals were built to connect a series of lagoons and rivers, making it proper for the navigation of small embarkations, piraguas as the locals’ call them, being the most important transportation mean in the region. Tortuguero is the most important egg-laying point for the Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) in the whole Caribbiean Sea; and in its black-sand beaches it was created the Caribbean Conservation Corporation for protecting the Sea Turtles. But turtles are not the only attraction, the National Park is full of life; slots and howler monkeys over the tree tops, miniature frogs and green iguanas within the tree buttress roots, and endanger aquatic species such as the manatee (the sea cow) and the Tarpon Fish.
Lunch will be served between 12:00pm and 2:00pm and during the afternoon, guests are taken to a guided 2 hour tour to the Tortuguero town; located between the Caribbean Sea and the Tortuguero Lagoon, there isn’t motor vehicles but the boats, no roads but sidewalks and a colorful small Caribbean typical town are the words better described the village. In the north of the Tortuguero Town is the Caribbean Consevations Corportation research center with a small museum dedicated to the Sea Turtles and the Tortuguero Town history, entrance fee is around US$2.00.
At the lodge, you can also enjoy the use of the installations such as the frog garden, the botanical garden, the pool, bars and the different areas of the hotel or a walk on the Caribbean beach. Dinner will be served between 7:00pm and 9:00pm
Notes: The second day can start at 5:30am with the NATURE AWAKENING TOUR. This tour allows you to see wildlife from its first moves at dawn in the canals. The tour has an additional value of US$25.00 which can be arranged in advanced or payable at the hotel plus the US$15.00 entrance fee to the National Park not included in the package, payable at the park’s office.
After the breakfast head back by boat at approximately 9:00am, and board the bus to the Selva Tropical Restaurant for the lunch. At the Selva Tropical our Ecoterra Costa Rica’s driver will meet you to continue the journey to La Fortuna, in the Arenal Volcano National Park Region.
Casa Luna Hotel & Spa will be the last hotel prearranged in this package; after checking in you will have off time for enjoying the pool or you can have a massage at Luna Spa, which you can arrange in advance with our reservations department or with the hotel’s front desk; if you pleased and you prefer to chill you can also simply relax in your balcony, enjoying the view of Arenal Volcano (when clear) or have a cocktail at the bar.
The tour starts in the morning, aprox 07:50 am after breakfast, so get ready for your first ride over the canyons, through lush forests, above Pino Blanco waterfall (160 feets) & La Fortuna waterfall (200 feets), beside the Arenal Volcano and experience the adrenaline rush of observing the landscapes over the tree tops. The zip line tour is an authentic adventure through the rainforest. A cart pulled by a tractor will pick you up and drive you 3 kilometers through a dirt road. You will arrive at a lookout point where you can see the rushing waters of the Pino Blanco waterfall. You may see several species of animals that inhabit this area such as toucans, monkeys and frogs. Seven cables with a full distance of 1.7 miles and lengths from 400 feet to 3280 feets; after the canopy tour, you will visit a representation of a Maleku Indigenous Village, members of a tribe dressed in traditional clothes greet you with a refreshing beverage and teach you about their culture, language and traditions. They share stories about animals and the environment, expressing their gratitude for nature. You will return to the starting point on cart. Near the entrance, there is a butterfly garden and a frog room, which we encourage you to explore. If you put some fruit juice on your finger, the butterflies will land on you and exhibit the vibrant colors of their wings. At the end of the tour, we will take the transportation back to the hotel. You will have some part of the afternoon off to enjoy the on your way.
In the afternoon, you will be greeted by our guide aprox at 02:30 pm at the front desk, in order to reach El Silencio Private Reserve, to reach as close to the Arenal Volcano as permitted by car. From there, we will begin a 1 km walk along a trail of volcanic rock, rated as moderate in difficulty, to reach the observation point, which is the closest to the base of the volcano we can legally get.
At the end of the day, the perfect place to relax will be at the Arenal Paradise Hot Springs including a dinner served at the Hotsprings Restaurant. At about 9:00 pm you will be picked up to return to the hotel.
La Fortuna is the best area in Costa Rica for activities & tours; you will have the day off for do optional activities with extra cost, like our special trip to the Rio Celeste & Tenorio Volcano; this is one of the unexplored locations of Costa Rica, and might become a neat in sunny days (some physical effort might be required). The turquoise blue waters together with all the nature surrounding, make of Rio Celeste a place to enjoy. Located in the outskirts of the Tenorio Volcano, without any doubt this river is one of a kind.
You can visit our office and arrange optional activities according to you needs, between the top activities are ATV´s, Canyoning, Whitewater Rafting Class II & III or Class III & IV, Venado Caves, Sloth Watching tour, etc. We recommend you to book your activities before your travel date, therefore we offer 10% discount for any tour operated by Ecoterra you book in advance.
Today, you have the shuttle back to the Juan Santamaria International Airport in Alajuela at 8:00am. Please consider this transfer takes about 3 hours to the airport, and you must be there at least 2 hours earlier your flight time for checking in; if you require a transportation on a different time we can arrange a private transportation for some extra bucks.
- Lodging Park Inn by Radisson Hotel in standard double room (1 Night)
- Transfer from Juan Santamaria international airport to the hotel
- Ground Transportation from San José to Guápiles
- Lodging Laguna Tortuguero Lodge in standard double room (2 Nights)
- Tortuguero village guided visit
- Botanical Gardens at the Laguna Tortuguero Trails guided walk
- Boat trip through the Tortuguero National Park canals
- Boat Transportation (Guapiles – Tortuguero – Guapiles) 2 ways
- Ground Transportation from Guapiles to Arenal Volcano & La Fortuna
- Lodging Casa Luna Hotel & Spa standard double room (3 Nights)
- Transportation to all mentioned activities.
- Zip line Tour
- Entrance fee to Paradise Hot Springs
- 6 Breakfast (Day 2,3,4,5,6,7)
- 3 Lunch ( Day 2,3 & 4)
- 3 Dinner (Day 2,3 & 5)
- Bilingual naturalist guide
- Free 24 hours Wi-Fi in Public Areas in the hotels
- Free Security Safe
- Welcome drink
- 2 people minimum.
Important considerations concerning this package
- Changes to the itinerary cannot be made, there is a logistic matter to be considered.
- If you ask for different destinations not included in this package during the package days, you will be remitted by one of our travel planners for a new itinerary proposal.
- If you wish to skip any of the activities there won’t be any refund.
- Children 7 years and younger are not allowed to take part of the zip line and one of the adults will have to accompanied the kid. This service won’t be refund either, since changes are not allowed in the package. If you pleased we can offer you the professional baby sitter, you can ask for our services.
- Costa Rica is a country to travel around, and if you have some extra days we recommend you to take the opportunity you are already here and visit one of the pacific beaches, the cloud forest or even stay longer at the Casa Luna, if you are open to suggestions please let us know.
- Keep in mind most of hotels in Costa Rica are with two double beds and if you are three people two of you will have to share a bed.
- Our support hours: Everyday from 07:00 hrs to19:00 hrs
- Our reservation hours: From Monday to Friday 7:00am to 19:00hrs, Saturday from 08:00am to 16:00hrs, Sunday´s closed.
Considerations concerning the pricing
- Package price does not include 13% package tax which can be paid via PayPal, credit card authorization form or Bank Transaction at least 10 days before your travel date.
- For an extra person in the same room with all the services mentioned in the package add $599 - Taxes included - (Maximum 1 extra adult + 1 child per package)
- For children from 5 to 11 years old please add $439 -Taxes included- (Maximum 2 children’s per package) this payment will be process by Ecoterra Staff. Upgrades for change the transportation back to other destinations or for private transportation are available with extra charge.